The favorite for today is Christmas mass.Growing up Catholic--at least through my teenager years--the only church I had ever really attended was the Catholic church--St. Mary's, to be exact. It was a very big church, traditional, a little on the dark side, but I was fairly comfortable in it, having practically grown up in that church.
My family didn't attend Christmas mass on a regular basis. In fact, I can only recall attending Christmas mass once with my family, and it wasn't even at St. Mary's. Instead, it was a large church in San Francisco. My brother Don took us there one Christmas. I remember it was so crowded, we had to stand the entire time, but it was amazing to be there. I was in complete awe of the tradition.
I've attended Christmas mass a couple of times since then, and I enjoy it every single time, whether it is in a Catholic church or not. There is just something about the tradition, about the awe that I feel... It's completely mesmerizing.Although I'm not sure I'll get a chance to attend this year, I'll at least try to visit a church that's all decorated for the holiday, just so I can stand there for a few minutes and let the awe envelope me.
No comments:
Post a Comment