Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Be a Fashionista on Your Pages!

In no way am I a fashionista. But I started thinking about how current fashion trends can be used on layouts.

Today, I have a post on the Stolen Moments Design blog all about incorporating the latest fashion trends (per Vogue). A lot of the examples in that post point to a specific store, but I have a few personal favorites found out in digiscrap land, especially for the trends that are a little more specific.

Ruffles, Pleats, and Fringe Trends
As soon as I read about the ruffles trend, I immediately thought of an element pack that unfortunately has gone into retirement - Ombre Ruffles Vol. 2 from retired designer Audrey Neal. I know at the time I purchased this, I had no idea how I was going to use them. But, with the current fashion trend, I might just try them again on a page!

There are some other available element kits with both pleats and ruffles, like Pretty Trims No. 1 from Sahlin Studios.

Or for more ruffles, try Petals No. 2 from Sara Gleason.

Finding fringed elements was tough, but I found the cutest fringed set from Kim Jensen - Acid Wash Extreme Fringe! I love this!

A super kit with paper fringe and frayed edges is Vicki Stegall's Rock On! {World Tour - Mega Kit}. You can also get just the elements, if you don't need all the papers.

Safari Trend
One of my favorite safari-themed kits is Wild Thing, a collab from Michelle Godin and Paula Kesselring.
Although you can't tell in the preview I've provided, there are some really terrific patterned papers in this collab, perfect for adding the safari trend to a layout. You can see more details from a previous post of mine.

Oriental and Kimono Trends
When I was looking for kits to scrap about a trip to Japan, I found some very interesting designs. A few of my favorites (images are linked):


I {Heart} Japan from Honey Designs

 AsianART Prints Paperie No. 1 from Anna Aspnes Designs

Trip to the Orient from Jacque Larsen

Sakura Sakura from ninigoesdigi

Tranquility by Heather Roselli

Hawaiian Prints Trend
With lots of relatives in the Hawaiian Islands, I'm a bit picky about Hawaiian prints. I've even gone so far as to scan actual fabric to use on a page, lol. Unfortunately, this can be a timely process for me. I did find a few items (not necessarily Hawaiian prints) that are fairly authentic when it comes to Hawaiian culture.

The papers and some of the embellishments in the ArtPlay Palette Hummingbird by Anna Aspnes are perfect!

Love these wooden Everyday Koa Tags from One Little Bird!

Now these aren't vintage Hawaiian, but will still be great designs to use when it comes to Hawaiian themes:

Kona Coast by Julie Billingsley

Beach Babe by Megan Turnidge

Summer Lovin' Elements by Karah Fredricks

I know there are lots of other element packs and kits out there that have some of these trends in them. By all means, just mix and match to your heart's content. I know I do that a lot on my layouts. After all, in the end, the pages are for me and not about whether or not my page has a fashion trend or not. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment