![]() |
| Courtesy of Peanuts |
When I was little, my dad used to go to the bakery early on Saturday mornings just to get a box of these. When I woke up, there used to be a pink bakery box on the kitchen table with these fluffy, fresh sugar doughnuts. I remember my younger brother and I couldn't get enough of them. If only I could get them now. Unfortunately, the closest I find are the twisted ones. While it's the same thing, technically, it just isn't the same. The twisted ones aren't as fluffy and light as I remember.
My other favorite doughnut is a jelly-filled one. I remember Morton's Jelly Doughnuts, which you could find in the freezer section of the grocery store. That was the first time I ever tried a jelly doughnut. It, too, was covered with granulated sugar. (Do you see a theme here? Lol!) But the jelly inside was the yummy part. It was a berry of some sort; I'm not sure what kind. Anyway, they disappeared off the market, and I forgot about them until I went to England for the first time. Completely by accident, I found some in a bakery and decided to try them. O-M-G! That first bite brought back so many memories! It tasted just like the Morton's Jelly Doughnuts that I grew up with! I ended up having at least one every day while I was there. Even the jelly-filled doughnuts I've found since just don't match up.
If I were feeling a little more energetic, I'd attempt one of these gluten free doughnut recipes. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll live up to what my taste buds are expecting. So go have a doughnut for me!

No comments:
Post a Comment