Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My First Mile

This is how I felt today.

Big milestone today for me--I RAN a mile in 12:30. And we're not talking a run and walk thing like I've been doing. I was actually running for every one of those 12 minutes and 30 seconds!

After feeling awfully discouraged for the last week and a half because of pain from shin splints and the fact that I couldn't even run for five minutes without feeling like my lungs were going to collapse, today's accomplishment may be a very small feat in a runner's life. But, it's a huge deal for a non-runner, non-athletic person like myself!

I'll admit that I did things a little differently today at the gym, like warming up for 20 minutes on the elliptical (made almost 2.5 miles during that period), stretching, then hitting the treadmill for another 20 minute session. I made sure to run the mile before slowing down to walk for the next 11 and a half minutes.

All that went so well that I was actually smiling after finishing the 12 straight minutes of running. It was definitely what I needed to get me motivated again, even if it was a small step...LOL! I even spent an additional 45 minutes at the gym afterward working on strength training for my legs and abs--killer to do all of these, but still great at the same time. I didn't hurt afterwards, but I'm sure I'll be feeling the pain tomorrow!

On the job front...my days are definitely flying by, with running between my two contracts. Today was definitely easier than yesterday, but I'm still a little stressed out with the sabbatical coverage. It just feels like I don't have nearly everything I need to know before Brenda takes off. But, I think this will be an important step in my career, and I'm so glad I have the opportunity!

Need to crash--got another long day tomorrow. Hope your week is going well!

No comments:

Post a Comment