I was very proud of myself for being able to run most of the 5 miles, although I had to stop a few times to stretch out the cramp in my right leg. I don't know how people do this. I will say that it's always the first mile that the hardest for me. Watching all the fast people on the team take off in a huge pack just makes me feel like such a snail. But, I try to keep telling myself that I'm just starting out, and in a few months, I'll be able to go at least a half marathon, which would be 13.1 miles. Mind over matter... I should point out that I did the 5 miles in 1:09, which is a little over 12 minutes per mile--not bad, I guess, for a non-runner like me.
Today, we met at a great coffee shop called Sydney's. Totally cool place! We started our 5-mile run there, then ran along the waterfront and over two bridges and back. The scenery was great, the weather was perfect for a run...all I can say is that I did it, and I did it so much better than last week's run. Slowly, but surely, I'll be able to run the entire 5-miles. One of the mentors pointed out that we've only been training for 3 weeks, and I've gone quite a ways in 3 weeks. I know that if I didn't have the support from this team, there is no way I could do this.
After the run, lots of the team hung out at the coffee shop, and I got a chance to get to know 2 of the team members a little better: DeeDee and Amy. DeeDee is an extremely positive and motivated person. She's about a year older than me, single, no kids, no relationship, and she's studying to become a doctor. She also has a full-time job, so school is a part-time thing for now.
Amy is our honored teammate. She is a survivor of lymphoma, and has been in remission about a year now. It was amazing to hear her story this morning over breakfast. I truly applaud her for her attitude and for the motivation that she gives to the team. I even got a picture with her and Elaina...left to right is Elaina, Amy, and me.
I know that I feel my life is a struggle at times, so it makes me feel awful when I hear triumphant stories like Amy's. It always reminds me that there are people who are definitely having a harder time. I just have to remember that.Okay, must go start off my Saturday...before I head out to celebrate Elaina's b-day. Hope you are all having a good weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment