Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Where Were You?

Upon perusing an online scrapbooking store site, I found a link to a site called WereYouThere.com.

Since I'm really interested in scrapbooking and genealogy, I clicked the link and discovered a site where anyone can share their memories. The memories can be related to a specific event, such as the Challenger disaster on January 28, 1986, JFK's assassination, or 9/11. Or, some folks relay memories about their first car or first love. The main idea is that everyone has a memory to share, no matter how small.

For instance, when I read through some of the memories for the Challenger disaster, I recalled that I was a freshman in college. I was in the dining hall, eating breakfast, when I saw the launch being televised on every TV set in the dining hall. So, as I ate my cereal, I watched and listened to the live report, knowing that this particular launch included a civilian teacher. Others in the dining hall felt the same shock when we watched the shuttle launch successfully, then explode just seconds later. I remember looking around at everyone else, wondering if they had just witnessed what I did. I don't think any of us immediately comprehended what had happened. When I finally walked away from the set, knowing I had to get to my first class, I was in a fog.

Anyway, WereYouThere.com has lots of accounts of personal history. It's definitely someplace where you can get lost for hours on end, just reading memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment