Remember the song Thriller from Michael Jackson? It turned 25 years old today.That fact just makes me feel old! I remember listening to that song in high school and how it was played at the dances. I'll admit that I never learned the actual dance (which is in the movie 13 Going on 30) back then, but it would be funny to learn it now.
And speaking of music, I woke up this morning to the DJs asking listeners to share stories about songs that remind them of a very specific memory. I've always found this topic very interesting, especially since I have lots of songs that remind me of specific memories or events in my life. For instance...
Wicked Game by Chris Isaak always reminds me of Matt. The lyrics are a bit haunting to me since it reflected our relationship at the time. I think we both knew there was always something bigger than both of us.
Don't Go Breaking My Heart by Elton John and More Than Words by Extreme brings back memories of my old roommate, Fiona. She always wanted someone to sing Elton's song to her--said that it would be the guy she would marry--and as for the Extreme song, we used to sing it together in harmony every time it came on the radio.
Classic Beach Boy songs, like Help Me Rhonda or Be True to Your School or California Girls, bring me back to my freshman year of college, specifically when me and two of my friends, Nancy and Lillian, would go workout at the Rec Center before dinner. When we got back to the dorm, Lillian would bring her boom box into the showers and blast Beach Boys songs while we cleaned up for dinner.
Truly by Lionel Richie was the song that I slow danced to with my friend David (whom I had a HUGE crush on at the time) during our sophomore year (it might have been early in our junior year) of high school while we were attending a dance at the State Hospital. (Don't get the wrong idea here--one of the clubs we were in used to go to the State Hospital and put on dances as a community service project. Only the patients that had "good behavior" were allowed to go to these monthly dances.)
Africa by Toto was a song from freshman/sophomore year of high school when me, Mary, and Brenda (whom I was no longer friends with my senior year) used to pretend we were part of an air band. I think Brenda was percussion, Mary was guitar, and I covered keyboards.
What a Fool Believes by the Doobie Brothers takes me back to riding the bus to middle school in seventh grade. My friend Valerie had written up a copy of the lyrics for me, and each time we heard it on the school bus, we would sing along. To this day, I still turn up the song each time I hear it on the radio.
Kiss Me from Sixpence None the Richer is a fun memory of Brian, who used to make up lyrics to fit the song. When I hear the song now, I still think "Green beans, oh how I love to eat them..." (Heck, I even had a hard time remembering the real name of the song when I typed it in just now!)
Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes is a really fun memory right now since Kathy and Jen are keeping a running toll of how many times we hear the song in a month. So far, the total count is 3. I'm not really sure how this got started, but every time it comes on the radio, Kathy calls me or Jen sends me an email.
And the list goes on... How's that for a Flashback Friday (and yes, I really need to bring that back!)?
What songs spark your memories?
Wicked Game by Chris Isaak always reminds me of Matt. The lyrics are a bit haunting to me since it reflected our relationship at the time. I think we both knew there was always something bigger than both of us.
Don't Go Breaking My Heart by Elton John and More Than Words by Extreme brings back memories of my old roommate, Fiona. She always wanted someone to sing Elton's song to her--said that it would be the guy she would marry--and as for the Extreme song, we used to sing it together in harmony every time it came on the radio.
Classic Beach Boy songs, like Help Me Rhonda or Be True to Your School or California Girls, bring me back to my freshman year of college, specifically when me and two of my friends, Nancy and Lillian, would go workout at the Rec Center before dinner. When we got back to the dorm, Lillian would bring her boom box into the showers and blast Beach Boys songs while we cleaned up for dinner.
Truly by Lionel Richie was the song that I slow danced to with my friend David (whom I had a HUGE crush on at the time) during our sophomore year (it might have been early in our junior year) of high school while we were attending a dance at the State Hospital. (Don't get the wrong idea here--one of the clubs we were in used to go to the State Hospital and put on dances as a community service project. Only the patients that had "good behavior" were allowed to go to these monthly dances.)
Africa by Toto was a song from freshman/sophomore year of high school when me, Mary, and Brenda (whom I was no longer friends with my senior year) used to pretend we were part of an air band. I think Brenda was percussion, Mary was guitar, and I covered keyboards.
What a Fool Believes by the Doobie Brothers takes me back to riding the bus to middle school in seventh grade. My friend Valerie had written up a copy of the lyrics for me, and each time we heard it on the school bus, we would sing along. To this day, I still turn up the song each time I hear it on the radio.
Kiss Me from Sixpence None the Richer is a fun memory of Brian, who used to make up lyrics to fit the song. When I hear the song now, I still think "Green beans, oh how I love to eat them..." (Heck, I even had a hard time remembering the real name of the song when I typed it in just now!)
Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes is a really fun memory right now since Kathy and Jen are keeping a running toll of how many times we hear the song in a month. So far, the total count is 3. I'm not really sure how this got started, but every time it comes on the radio, Kathy calls me or Jen sends me an email.
And the list goes on... How's that for a Flashback Friday (and yes, I really need to bring that back!)?
What songs spark your memories?
No comments:
Post a Comment